Stratham was settled in 1631 and incorporated in 1716. The area, callednWinnicutt by the Pennacook Indians, was known as Squamscott Patent or Point ofnRocks because of its location between Great Bay and the Squamscott River. Thensixth town in the colony to be incorporated, the town was named for WriothesleynRussell, Baron Howland of Streatham, a friend of New Hampshire Royal Governor SamuelnShute.n
nThe town is unusual among New England settlements of its size in having beenncomprehensively mapped in 1793 by Phinehas Merrill. It is therefore possible tonidentify how many of the extant buildings of the town predate the map.n
nEach summer the town hosts the Stratham Fair, held at Stratham Hill Park.
Copyright 2018 New England Real Estate Network, Inc. All rights reserved. This information is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed. The data relating to real estate displayed on this site comes in part from the IDX Program of NEREN. The information being provided is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.
Updated: 17th November, 2018 5:00 PM.